2014-05-16

Science's Authoritarian Turn

One of the odd developments in recent years is the growing authoritarian streak among scientists. Since science by its nature is about skepticism and questioning, the problem isn't really with science, but the way science has become a field dominated by politics. Politics in this case meaning that things are decided by consensus and group, rather than science which tends towards the individual and overturning group consensus in the wake of a new discovery.

The latest example is comes from climate science.

Climate Change Debate: A Famous Scientist Becomes a Skeptic
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Why do you think the GWPF is particularly suitable for that goal?

Bengtsson: Most of the members of GWPF are economists and this is an opportunity for me to learn from some of these highly qualified members who are active in areas outside my own expertise. At the same time, it will allow me to contribute by my own meteorological knowledge, to broaden the debate.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: The people at GWPF don't exactly have a reputation for reconsidering their opinions. Have you become a so-called climate skeptic?

Bengtsson: I have always been a skeptic and I believe this is what most scientists really are.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: But weren't you one of the alarmists 20 years ago? Do you think your position at that time was wrong?

Bengtsson: I have not changed my view on a fundamental level. I have never seen myself as an alarmist but rather as a scientist with a critical viewpoint, and in that sense I have always been a skeptic. I have devoted most of my career to developing models for predicting the weather, and in doing so I have learned the importance of validating forecasts against observed weather.
A famous scientist joins an economic group of climate skeptics to broaden the debate. This looks like a very positive step forward: the economists will share their concern about growth, particularly as relates to energy needs, the Bengtsson will share the evidence for climate change.

What looks good to most people does not look good to many climate scientists.

Lennart Bengtsson Resigns GWPF After Intolerable Peer Pressure
Resigning from the GWPF

Dear Professor Henderson,

I have been put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety. I see therefore no other way out therefore than resigning from GWPF. I had not expecting such an enormous world-wide pressure put at me from a community that I have been close to all my active life. Colleagues are withdrawing their support, other colleagues are withdrawing from joint authorship etc.

I see no limit and end to what will happen. It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy. I would never have expecting anything similar in such an original peaceful community as meteorology. Apparently it has been transformed in recent years.

Under these situation I will be unable to contribute positively to the work of GWPF and consequently therefore I believe it is the best for me to reverse my decision to join its Board at the earliest possible time.

With my best regards
Lennart Bengtsson

No comments:

Post a Comment