2022-10-19

Better Off Red

ZB is heading for the measured move target of 121. TLT is in free fall. I do not know if 121 will hold or not. I'm agnostic here. As I've said before, I think ZB can bounce as stocks crater and it can bounce with a bull rally. If it is falling, then stock are probably going lower. ZB is at a new 52-week low. Don't over think it.

Gold, copper and oil are all below important horizontals that mark topping patterns. All three have collapse analogs. The Federal Reserve is doing what they did when commodities collapsed over the past decade. The charts are rolling over into h-like patterns. I have a simple two-part thesis. One, I think these charts are going lower. Two, if these charts go lower, they complete setups that forecast plunging prices. If they go lower, they go way lower. So I buy OTM puts. Since gold has lower expected volatility, I went with that one. I have November $150 strike puts on GLD.
Stocks say hold your horses. I can't ignore the counter-signal from the market because it can be a predictor. For now that's all it is, a prediction. Everything else says stocks are experiencing an internal technical move that will lose steam. Stock will recouple with commodities and bonds, and sink.
You know what didn't rally? Energy. I closed weekly puts I opened yesterday. I may or may not open them again. I am still holding some OTM COP puts for November. I also closed my USO puts that expire Friday yesterday. I may or may not reopen that position because as I posted yesterday, I think it's time for XLE to underperform USO. If oil goes higher, that is probably bad news for stocks and bonds.
I can see outlines of a dollar top in the euro, maybe even the Korean won, but not in the Japanese yen. Not the Chinese yuan. Currency crisis only needs one player. I view this as a high stakes situation because DXY is advising some caution that will be warranted if USDJPY tops out. The flipside is China could be forced into letting the yuan drop and last time that happened, stocks went almost straight down 10 percent in much better macro conditions. I'm playing the possibility of this with OTM puts on EEM for November. There's no support if emerging markets break lower and China is their lodestone.
Finally, BTC. It ain't screaming sell everything yet, but it also ain't rallying.
These aren't my only trades listed above, only ones relevant to these charts. My first thought will be to add more BigTech, energy and consumer staples shorts if the market turns lower. I did jump into some Apple November puts yesterday. Earnings season makes single-stock options trades pricier, but I might put some on in special cases or post-earnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment